Sunday, August 24, 2014

Courtship?

Courtship versus modern dating is a very, very hot topic, especially in the homeschool community!




Dave and I talk about this subject a lot, in light of the fact that we do have 7 daughters, three of whom are teenagers, and knowing that another of our gals is quickly approaching teenager-ness!

Our 17 year old daughter wants to marry young.  I'll be right up front and truthful with you: I think that, if the two young people are Godly, mature, well adjusted people from very good families, then I'm okay with this! I'm not asking for judgement or conflict here, I'm just stating what I think.

**I know that this is a controversial issue among parents in the church, and I'm not seeking to start any arguments here.  I just want to share a blog that hits home for me and has some really great insight on courtship versus dating…..

For the record, since Dave and I came out of the traditional dating, going steady, youth group culture, and since we've prayed and prayed about this topic since our first girl was born many years ago, we tend to adhere to a courtship mentality and philosophy….  

The thing is, in the homeschool community, particularly the very conservative homeschool community, we have found the thoughts about courtship among "leaders" of the movement to be stifling and legalistic with a very controlling and disapproving atmosphere.

This is very, very concerning to us.

So, I accidentally found this young man's blog the other day on my friend's FB page, and I started to surf his blog, and he has some really good philosophies on dating versus courtship.

For the record, he comes from a large family in Canada who are homeschoolers and they make funny YouTube videos called Jostie Flicks.  We adore this family even though we haven't met them! They're also very talented musically and that makes us, as musicians ourselves, like them even more.  This family toured our region last year and came to a town near us, but we couldn't go to their concert because we didn't have a car at the time! BOO!

I guess what I hope to accomplish by posting the link to this article is this: that those of you out there who are unfamiliar with the courtship thing would hear and read about it from someone who has good things to say from a balanced, respectful perspective.  I hope that all of you mamas out there who are also contemplating the issue of dating and courting will think seriously about this in more depth.

I really believe that this is an issue that needs to be discussed in more detail among families and mamas and daddies, and even at church, because I believe that traditional dating and going steady and the boyfriend/girlfriend thing just isn't working, for so many reasons.

I do hope you take the time to read this young man's article and pray about it.

Let me know your thoughts!!

Here's the article:

Also, surf around on his blog.  He has a lot of good things to say!!

Thanks for reading my blog!!

LOVE Leanne 

2 comments:

Susan Holt Simpson said...

I've been reading a little bit about courtship lately, too - it really is a HOT topic. :-)

Here's an article with a perspective that I had not seen before:
http://www.thomasumstattd.com/2014/08/courtship-fundamentally-flawed/

If you find it interesting, there's also a Q&A blog post written by the same fellow with further discussion.

Blessings,

Susan

harada57 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.